Monday, January 28, 2013

Dressed for suck fest

I don't mean to alarm you, but it's been a wee bit chilly here in New England lately. The good news is that it's snowing tonight, which means it's finally warm enough to snow! I freely admit that between my bout with the flu a couple of weeks ago and the so so so far below zero temps in the pre-dawn hours last week (with crazy wind chills to boot) I wussed out big time on outdoor running in the last 10 or 15 days.

On Saturday, though, I strapped on my big girl panties and headed out with Mother Runner Extraordinaire, Lauren. The 13.5 miles took a little over 2 hours -- not blazing speed, but no small feat given the insane temps. It occurred to me that runs in that weather need to be pretty long if they are going to be worth the hassle of finding 7,000 layers and figuring out how to prevent your water bottle from freezing. (Put in warm water and carry the bottle in your pocket, close to your body heat... Not totally fool proof, as once there's only a little water left it will still freeze, but you can manage!)

So, this morning I headed out at 5... Or 5:25 by the time I was dressed!.... And I took a few snapshots of my layering up process.

One pair of socks with long underwear...


... A second pair of socks and running tights....


...  A sweat wicking top.... 


... A cotton turtle neck...


  ... A fleece with hood...


... A white zip up wind breaker...


... A head warmer and winter cap...


... A head lamp... (And big honkin' gloves, not shown)......


And finally, the 'after' picture.


Yep. 20 minutes to dress, 27 minutes to run.

Totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment