Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Parents v. Activities: How do you do it??

I am the proud owner of two of the least-scheduled kids in the world. Well, not always proud, as sometimes their lack of interest and enthusiasm for extracurricular activities embarrasses me.

Last night my boys had an introductory class in karate and they really enjoyed it. They were pretty funny, actually, as my FB status update and follow-up comment show:

Karate + Giessler Boys = hilarious. Wish I had video taped their intro class.

This was just the 2 of them and the sensei. They both let their quirky stream of consciousness roll through out AND couldn't take their eyes off themselves in the giant mirror... Fancy new "gi" and all! I'm surprised they want to go back, as I think they expected to come out of it as Ninja Masters!
 
The sensei would like them both to start up on Mondays & Wednesdays at 4PM. A not unreasonable schedule. School gets out at 3:20 and this dojo (is it really a dojo? is that how you even SPELL dojo?? I'm going with yes to all...) is only about 10 or 15 minutes from school, depending on ice and frost heaves and mud. (Ahhh, New Hampshire in springtime!) But when I found out their classes start at 4PM my palms started to sweat and my heart began to race. 
 
For me, 4PM is too early. I began to think, "I wish I was like all those other parents who have no problem getting their kids to after school activities." And THEN I began to think, "Wait a minute. How the hell DO "normal" parents get their kids to after school activities like this??" 
 
Because here's my understanding of what "normal" parents have going on:
  • Normal parents work until a lot later than "after school"... don't they? 
  • Normal parents have a nice-sized commute to their jobs.... don't they?
  • Normal parents have to put their kids in after school care.... don't they?
  • Normal parents work all summer and during school vacations... don't they?
 
So I re-thought my racing heart and sweaty palms and felt thankful that I merely had to send a long, convoluted email requesting early or alternate pick up locations for the daycare kids. It's still a huge pain in the ass for me and especially for the parents whose kids are in my care, but they help me out. (Or, so far they have, anyway!) They give me the go-ahead to drag their kids to my midwife appointments and to my own kids' appointments. They give me the go-ahead to drop off their kids at school (where they, thankfully, work as teachers). They have busy lives with busy kids and understand how it is.... So I remember how lucky I am.


Maybe my perception of the world is wrong. Maybe there is a quiet army of stay-at-home parents who are readily available for any and all activities their kids want to do. Maybe this same quiet army is secretly wealthy beyond my dreams ('cuz just karate alone is a serious strain on our budget!) and money is no object when it comes to activities. 

I'm not an idiot. I know there's no such thing as "normal" parents. Each family figures this stuff out as it comes in a way that works for them. Maybe most families have a stronger support system around them with grandparents or other relatives who can do some of the toting from place to place (Oh, the envy I have for families with nearby in-laws!!) Maybe most families have made better use of their social skills and have connected with willing carpool-ers. 

But really.... REALLY!.... How do YOU do it? Or, how DID you do it?? Because I can't imagine this facet of our lives getting any LESS busy.

P.S. Baby TOP will graduate from high school in 2030. Talk about a long-term problem!!

1 comment:

  1. I am a "normal" parent. I work. I am on every committee under the sun. I drive. I have (sort of) 4 kids.

    My kids have to do SOMETHING all year. Right now it's indoor soccer... at 3 or 4 on Saturdays.

    They took karate at 5 on Mondays and Wednesdays.

    They played softball at 5.

    They played soccer on Saturday mornings.

    They did gymnastics on Saturday mornings.

    They have girl scouts on Mondays at 6.

    It's all about picking the activity that works for your house... not letting the activity run your house.

    Amen.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete