Sunday, January 12, 2014

Poetry in Motion

(updated to reflect the poet's ACTUAL effort and not my hacky copy and paste job!)

My friend Jon Neske is a poet. Well, he's my husband's pal so I guess he's my friend-in-law? Anyway, the guy knows his way around the language and isn't afraid to share it. He's also very fast with his wit.


Yesterday morning I was lying in bed willing myself to get going on my (ill-fated) 22-miler when I Tweeted thusly:

Webster's needs a word for the anxiety/dread/anticipation/excitement one feels before a long run. Perhaps they already do? #bipolarrun

Jon commented (on FB, cuz my Tweets go both places): Antixiousdreadament. I made it up just for you. Anti- from anticipation/ xious from the latin root of anxiety/ draed from the OE root of dread / ament from excitement. Really, though, this is why we have poetry to say these things we don't have words for.

Super clever, right? I thought so, too. Even more amazing was the message I got almost simultaneously:

What wonderful joy this wall
I have to smash through
before my first step

The road swallows me up with my
own stomach before I even approach it.
I will pound my inside-out
back into me with my feet
after the start

but until then, O!
this exquisite dread.

(Posted with permission, of course! Thanks, Jon!)

1 comment:

  1. So between Phoebe and I, we both managed to mess up the poem. I botched "first," typing "fist" instead. She forgot the last two lines. I blame the New Hampshire weather. I'm sure friend-in-law Phoebe will agree.

    What wonderful joy this wall
    I have to smash through
    before my first step

    The road swallows me up with my
    own stomach before I even approach it.
    I will pound my inside-out
    back into me with my feet
    after the start

    but until then, O!
    this exquisite dread.

    ReplyDelete