Friday, March 30, 2012

Totally On Purpose: Prepare for your close up edition

Dear Baby TOP,

Today is March 30. You are 38 weeks and 3 days cooked. Anytime now it would be lovely to meet you!

Don't panic. That's not actually you.

My Midwife appointment yesterday scored me an ultrasound for Monday morning. You are moving around like the dickens, my blood pressure is nice and low, your heartbeat is good... so it's almost certain everything is fine and dandy.

But.

My fundal measurement is less than what it was a week and a half ago. This might be because your head has dropped quite a bit (thanks again for that, by the way) but she thought you were really low last week, too.

In addition, the midwife guesstimated that you weigh 6.5 pounds which she felt very comfortable with. She had, of course, not remembered that this was her guesstimate LAST week. I'm not an alarmist but she agreed that it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a peek at you. And so on Monday, we shall!

(And I won't go into a political rant here but given this week's Supreme Court arguments, I just can't help but wonder "out loud": What the heck would I do if this ultrasound wasn't covered by insurance?? I suppose I'd just go without and cross my fingers that things were fine. Eee gads! "Health Care for All" just seems so much more civilized than "Health Care for All Who Are Lucky Enough to Qualify Based on Where They Work or Where They Fall on the Income Scale or...." Whoops. No political rant here. Nope. None at all.)

So, back to my ultrasound on Monday....

This works out pretty well schedule-wise as today is my last Daycare Lady day. Considering how nutty appointments got with Tommy and Elliott right before they were born (and the outside chance that you MIGHT come early) I gave daycare parents the notice about my closing date way back in the fall. This is one job where it's not so easy to tell "the guys at the office" you can't be there! (Babies and little kids are funny and fussy about wanting their diapers changed and the removal of choking hazards and having regular meals and snacks served and whatnot. Nuts, huh?)

By the way, I'm sure you've noticed that I am SOOO happy because Gungah is in town! She is officially here to take care of the boys while Dad and I are at the hospital and help out when I get home with you. Unofficially I think she's here to make sure I have my daily requirement of chocolate. She also adds credence to my observations and head scratches and chortles about life around here. You will learn very soon everything is better when Gungah is around!

One final, cool fateful coincidence that happened yesterday. Tommy had an appointment in Conway just before mine so he came with me to the midwife. This was the first time he's seen Mary since he was about 6 weeks old. But the reunion for 2004 was even more exciting because Betty, the lactation consultant at the hospital, was also at the office for her own medical appointment! Don't tell your big brother this but we needed a LOT of help from Betty when he was born because learning to eat was not something Tommy was great at. So, there we all were again, almost 8 years later. It's meaningless in the grand scheme but I'm taking it as a good sign anyway!

Okay, dude. Dad's super busy this weekend for the State Theater Festival but I would be really happy to meet you anytime you're ready. And imagine the great story Dad will have to tell in years to come if he has to make a dramatic exit from Manchester High School to get to the hospital for your birth! You KNOW how Daddy loves a good story....

I love you and I can't wait to give you a real live squeezes, count your fingers and toes and marvel at your wee little self....

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment