Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The No-Plan Plan

I'm a woman without a country at the moment. I have ZERO races officially on my calendar. I'm planning to do the Zooma Women's Half Marathon on Cape Cod on October 1st. (At this race will be my dear another mother runner friends, Sarah Bowen Shea & Dimity McDowell Davis, so it is absolutely not-to-be-missed!) And I still have hold of my Pipe Dream about running the Hood to Coast relay on the nuun-sponsored team at the end of August. (They will announce the winners on June 22).

But I realize as I type this that this is the first summer since '08 that I haven't been training for a marathon. Disconcerting.... Well, who knows? I may yet sign up for one. I think I'll let Hood to Coast decide my fate: if I get in, I won't do a marathon; if I don't, I will.

Anyway, in the meantime, I am still running. Sorta. Working backwards since the 1/2, here's what I've been up to:

  • Monday - Rest day.
  • Sunday - I did my first-ever run, yoga, run workout. I got the idea out of the blue Sunday morning. It was such a perfect day outside but I was not up for a long run. So, I did 1.5 miles to Nineteen Mile Bay, a quiet-at-that-hour beach. I did about 20 minutes of yoga (well, I left my shoes on since I had no mat, and I left my ear buds in because the music makes me happy... so it wasn't the most zen thing going...). Then I did the 1.5 home. I felt stretched & cardio'd & happy. All told it took under 45 minutes. I will definitely be doing that again soon!
  • Saturday - False start in the morning b/c I woke up with a bloody nose. Thought better of running down the road gushing blood, so I made the boys and myself breakfast and waited for, ahem, digestion. After about an hour (with no "movement") I decided to risk it. I wasn't sure what I was going to do but I wanted it to count as a long run. So, I ran a nice hilly, 7.8-ish loop. I went slow, peed in the woods and (thankfully) didn't have to expel any other waste products till I got home. A perfect long-ish, slow run.
  • Friday - Rest day.
  • Thursday - 3 miles easy.
  • Wednesday - 3 miles easy.
  • Tuesday - Race recovery (rest)
  • Monday - Race recovery (rest)

I'm going to crank things up a bit beginning tomorrow. Maybe a track workout. Or not. It sure is easier to run with a purpose when you're, ummm, running with a purpose. Maybe I oughta track down a 10K or something to get myself centered. Or not.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment