But I realize as I type this that this is the first summer since '08 that I haven't been training for a marathon. Disconcerting.... Well, who knows? I may yet sign up for one. I think I'll let Hood to Coast decide my fate: if I get in, I won't do a marathon; if I don't, I will.
Anyway, in the meantime, I am still running. Sorta. Working backwards since the 1/2, here's what I've been up to:
- Monday - Rest day.
- Sunday - I did my first-ever run, yoga, run workout. I got the idea out of the blue Sunday morning. It was such a perfect day outside but I was not up for a long run. So, I did 1.5 miles to Nineteen Mile Bay, a quiet-at-that-hour beach. I did about 20 minutes of yoga (well, I left my shoes on since I had no mat, and I left my ear buds in because the music makes me happy... so it wasn't the most zen thing going...). Then I did the 1.5 home. I felt stretched & cardio'd & happy. All told it took under 45 minutes. I will definitely be doing that again soon!
- Saturday - False start in the morning b/c I woke up with a bloody nose. Thought better of running down the road gushing blood, so I made the boys and myself breakfast and waited for, ahem, digestion. After about an hour (with no "movement") I decided to risk it. I wasn't sure what I was going to do but I wanted it to count as a long run. So, I ran a nice hilly, 7.8-ish loop. I went slow, peed in the woods and (thankfully) didn't have to expel any other waste products till I got home. A perfect long-ish, slow run.
- Friday - Rest day.
- Thursday - 3 miles easy.
- Wednesday - 3 miles easy.
- Tuesday - Race recovery (rest)
- Monday - Race recovery (rest)
I'm going to crank things up a bit beginning tomorrow. Maybe a track workout. Or not. It sure is easier to run with a purpose when you're, ummm, running with a purpose. Maybe I oughta track down a 10K or something to get myself centered. Or not.
I'll keep you posted.