Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Two Tommies

You'd think I'd get used to the fact that Tommy has 2 (well, probably more!) sides. I am always surprised and delighted when he does or says sweet and charming things. Examples of late...

Last night at the primary polls, Tommy asked me to vote for the Star Wars stuff. "If there is anything Star Wars on the ballot, Tom, I'll vote for it. I promise."

Then, as we were heading toward the booths, I put my arm on his shoulder and said "Why don't you come with me and Elliott can go in with Daddy?" His reply was awesome: "No! I want to go with Dad. Dad always does stuff ultimate!" How hilarious is that? He wasn't being impolite. He was stating a fact: Dad = Fun; Mom = Get the Job Done.

Somewhere inside the booth Tommy also changed his mind on the Star Wars thing. He wanted us to vote for Star Trek. Oooookay. He's never seen an episode of Star Trek but Scott does have some old action figures that the boys have played with so I guess that's where it comes from. On the drive home we talked about which character he liked and it didn't take long for us to understand that he like Lavar Burton's Jordi. (I refuse to look up the spelling.... I know it's wrong but there's still enough of the "sitting at the cool table in the cafeteria" kid in me to refuse to know how to spell Trek character names!!) He likes Lavar from Reading Rainbow and therefore likes Jordi. When we got home, he got a piece of paper out and created the funky glasses from the show. Then, Scott & he went on YouTube and found a clip of Lavar on Reading Rainbow giving a tour of the Enterprise... or whatever it's called. Oh, I love my Trekies!

Earlier in the day we had soccer practice. He's not even the same kid this year! He stayed focused on what the coach wanted him to do and did not stand out at all due to behavior. Couldn't have said that last year. I have no idea if he's actually a decent soccer player... but I so don't care about that.

Now... there's the business of TWO phone calls from his teacher last week. But that was last week. And so far, no calls this week. Phew!!

No comments:

Post a Comment