Thursday, April 15, 2010

What's my motivation?

Yesterday the alarm went off at 4:15. I had 8 miles to accomplish. I snoozed for a few minutes and mentally listed all the reasons I shouldn't run.

My shoes are worn out and my left foot is killing me because of it.
My stomach is iffy.... feels like diarrhea for sure.
It's cold. It's dark. And the bed is so very warm.

Despite these overwhelmingly appealing excuses, I got up and did it. Yes, my foot hurt - but only for the last 5 miles. : ) And yes, my stomach was iffy and when I got home I had to throw applesauce muffins and milk at the boys for breakfast because I was not going to make it to the bathroom. Add to that the unexpected shifting of my heart rate monitor to my belly which caused me to get a blister in my BELLY BUTTON... a first for sure! Oh, and yes, it was cold and dark.

For whatever reason, I sucked it up and went out there and ran 8 miles at an 8:36 pace. I had the added bonus of a shooting star... which I saw in the same exact place at the same exact time last week on my 7-miles outing. Anyway, so glad I did it, of course, but still wondering why!

So, cut to today. I just have to get up and out the door by about 5:30 and run 4 miles. The alarm goes off at 5 and I roll over to enjoy a final 15 minutes. But then, for no particular reason, I decide I'm not doing it today. I didn't make a list of reasons not to do it. I just said, "nope, not today."

I have no idea why I didn't go. There were far more compelling reasons to blow off the obnoxiously early 8 miles than the 4 miles.

I will never get me. My poor husband doesn't stand a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment