Sunday, March 17, 2013

Thirty-nine plus 1 day

I got up around 5:15 and dragged my frozen carcass out the door for my 16 miler this morning. It was supremely cold, even by NH standards, but by the time the sun finally rose, it was beautiful out. I would have many photos to share, but... well, you'll see why I don't in a minute.

The good news is that I got through the run. The other good news is that my left side, which had been giving me lots of trouble, was basically pain-free. I was also able to listen to the Another Mother Runner podcast, along with Judge John Hodgman and part of Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me. I was feeling all hopped up on blog-ness so I even recorded a bit of video to post. Woo hoo!

The bad news is that at about mile 8 my RIGHT side started making noise. The worse news is that at mile 10, my phone went dead. (I was asking too much of it, running MapMyRun AND a podcast AND doing short videos). Here's the final 3 seconds of life...

The worst news is that by mile 12 or so my right side had stabbing pains in the knee and hip that were so noisy that I literally had to stop in my tracks a few times. If my phone hadn't been dead I think I would have called Scott for a pick up.

The funny (?) news is that I didn't take my own classic advice (keep your water bottles close to your body heat) and my water froze up big time. I was okay with the first Gu break at mile 5 but at mile 11, when the pain was just starting to become a real problem, I couldn't take any water. So, I put the bottles down my multiple shirts. It melted just enough so that I could suck a teeny bit out by about mile 14.

Oh, also, this was a 3 tinkle run.... In case I have any local readers I won't reveal exactly where I pee'd. I don't THINK I was visible to any one or security devices. God, I hope!

I got home and iced my hot spots for a few minutes, woofed down some oatmeal and 1/2 a bagel, and then showered and dressed for church. Gabe was on hour 2 of a great nap so I woke him, dressed him and tossed him (and Elliott) in the car. We were only 3 minutes late, which I think counts as on time if you consider my morning events.

No comments:

Post a Comment