Friday, April 16, 2010

Any suggestions?



This started, I think, when one of the boys had 2 toys and Tommy grabbed one away from him because, well, he HAD TWO so Tommy should have one.... Then, after he flipped out about that and I talked to him about asking nicely first and using our "two minute rule" he went back to find that his Lego ship, which he left on the stairs during his first meltdown, had been picked up, played with, and taken apart. I only caught the last couple of minutes of the freak out. The stuff before the camera went on was a little more violent with banging the window and knocking stuff off the shelves of my bathroom.

He was exiled to parts of the house where the other kids weren't, which was tricky because of course that also limited where they could go. He ate lunch alone in my room and was not allowed to speak to anyone but me on the ride to Kindergarten. My thinking was that if he wanted them to be gone, he could act like they weren't there. I have no idea if it was the right move.

Scott thinks I ought to destroy this video because it could be edited to make it sound like I'm suggesting something dreadful (you'll see)... but I'm not worried about that. I can't seem to fix this kid. And I can't go through 31 more days like this. (Yes, I counted).

1 comment:

  1. Wish I had some incredible words of wisdom for you Phoeb! All I can say is that I think it's great that you let him have his meltdown and still remained calm and supportive of his feelings- which were quite sincere and honest!
    I think you did a great "mom" job! I'm wishing that I had this video and blog when my kids were that age... you could have prevented my meltdowns on top of my kids.....
    You did great!!!!!

    ReplyDelete